Thanksgiving in Australia

It's a beautiful Thursday morning here in Canberra, the birds are making crazy loud sounds out the window and Evelyn is cutting out fabric on the floor.  It is a different Thanksgiving day from anything in my previous 65.  Thanksgiving is an American holiday and most of the conversation, that I've heard here in Australia is anything but excited to talk about another country that was overrun by Europeans looking for more land.  Tomorrow morning we will drive up to Sydney to have a big dinner with the other senior missionaries.  Evelyn is making a pecan pie to share.

Last night we went to the Institute class that was celebrating their last week together before the summer break.  Sister Moir has been teaching the class and she and her husband provided treats, meat pies and sausage rolls, for the students to enjoy.  There were probably 15 kids that came and we had a good visit.  Before the social we went to the senior center and Evelyn played the piano as we sang to the old folks.  Two students and several sister missionaries made up the singers.  I joined in but I'm not sure if I contributed.  It was another sweet evening.

Yesterday, at noon, I went with Sisters Diaz, Fronk and Fulivai to teach a 60 year old fellow about the gospel.  They've met with him several times and he said he wanted to talk with someone with more authority.  We had a good discussion but I think he might've been a little disappointed when I kept referring back to the Sisters because they are authorized representatives of the Lord and they have the gift of the Holy Ghost. His name is Michael but he pronounces it like McKell Allred so it was easy to put the preferred accent on it.  Each time I called him by name I could see my dear friend back in Wyoming, dressed in a white suit.  (I'll try and post a picture I took)   We were in a public library but nobody objected to our lesson.  I bore a strong testimony to him that his studies and effort would be rewarded if he really desired to know and was willing to pay whatever price.  He's an incredibly curious individual and he will keep meeting with the sisters.  His brother is dying of cancer and there was a great deal of conversation about the great plan of happiness.

We're waiting, this morning, for a smoke detector inspection, so we might not get to the gym.  We worked out for a full hour yesterday.  I've nearly lost the kilo I gained in the MTC and it has only been a fortnight since we started.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayers work!

We've arrived and our hearts are full

plans that don't materialize