We"re still here

Sunday afternoon and it would be a truth to title this, "the day the sun didn't shine" but I'm sure it's not as bad here in Canberra compared to hundreds of other communities.  We received a call, just before church, from the young sisters and they had been instructed by President Runia to evacuate the area and travel to Sydney.  I found out a few minutes later that the young Elders would also be heading out.  

I've never awakened to such a sight as I saw this morning.  I'd been awake since 2:30 in the morning when I realized how smoky the flat had become.  I turned off the evaporative cooler and tried to return to sleep.  That wasn't going to happen so I awaited the sunrise.  It never came.  It was as nearly as dark at 7:00 as it had been at midnight.  The smoke was eerie.  President Runia called and talked with Evelyn and they discussed the pros and cons of our staying here in the city.  We decided to stay, wear our masks outside and go to church.  President Stuart was in constant contact with his Stake leaders and they determined to invite anyone who was worried to stay home and anyone that could come to church that it would only be one hour.  We went to the Black Mountain ward first and it was a powerful testimony meeting.  We then stayed at the building, visited with a few members and Evelyn played the organ while we waited for the Yerrabi ward to hold their services at noon.  Jacob Loney was ordained a deacon today and he bore his testimony, as did both of his younger brothers.  It was another sweet experience.

Today is Saturday back in the states and we received a Marco Polo from Andrew showing how much they had accomplished in remodeling their kitchen.  Jake had come up from Apple Valley and Adam and Michael joined in.  It's amazing that they removed all of the old cabinets and had repaired the kitchen floor in about a days time.  I shared that, when I bore my testimony, of how wonderful it is for a parent to observe their children loving, and serving, one another.  The comparison with the many people of faith, who are uniting in their prayers, and how much our Heavenly Father would be grateful for our service and love.  Sounds a little like Mosiah 2:17.

President Runia called, as we were at the church, and we talked about our evacuating.  We left the conversation at the point that we were requesting to stay, however, if he called back this afternoon with a statement of "leave" then we would be obedient.  So far, as of nearly 5:00, he hasn't called.  Maybe I should turn my phone back on...… just kidding.  

Love to all as we continue to petition the heavens for a blessing,



Elder & Sister Weber (grandma & grandpa, mom & dad, family, friend and neighbor)

ps.  I just read this and realized how poorly this was written and meandering in my message but I'm going to leave it unedited and just blame it on the smoke.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayers work!

We've arrived and our hearts are full

plans that don't materialize