I believe

Do I really have faith in Jesus Christ?  Do I accept Paul's testimony that he can really accomplish everything through Christ?  Is it possible to do everything I can and then stand back, cheerfully, and watch for the Lord's arm?  Am I willing to "go and do" anything that is asked of me?  Is Jesus Christ really my strongest supporter?  Is he really loving me in the midst of my sins, which do so easily beset me?  Will Father really welcome me home when so many of my rebellious natures are known?

I read the Psalms and I ponder the Proverbs from the Old Testament.  I read and reflect on the profound writings of ancient and modern prophets and I try to pray, "all the day long" but it's amazing how the mortal weaknesses, and Satan's influence can cause me to doubt.  As soon as I type that word I hear, "look unto me in every thought, doubt not, fear not", however, the reality is, for me, doubt enters in.  It's not the doubt that has me wondering if the gospel has been restored, or if Joseph Smith is a Prophet, or if the Bible and Book of Mormon are scripture.  It's the doubt of whether or not I'm truly qualified to be a recipient of the Celestial glory.  I doubt myself.

I've had cheer leaders in my life, at every turn and every contest.  I can still hear my father, who was capable of cheering louder than anyone else, encouraging me.  He would come to my little league baseball games. threw a ball with me in the front yard and never even complained when he had to replace the same window three times because of my errant throws.  There have always been family members, students, friends and colleagues who applauded my work.

When the scriptures speak of the Lord's judgement, it is true that we can find verses that sound frightening and even threatening.  There is no doubt that the Heavens are a place of purity and perfection, however, the overwhelming invitation is to lay aside our sins, be made clean through the blood of Christ and "enter in".  What do you "desire"?  If your desire is to return "home" and be a part of an eternal family then the Savior's arms are extended, "all the day long".  I am confident of a fathers love because I have it in my own heart.  I believe, that like the father of the prodigal son, I would leave my porch and "run" to my child who wanted to come home.  Nothing would stand in my way of welcome.

Last night we went to the Goodwin House in Ainsley and Evelyn played the piano while Charles and I tried our best to sing the songs of praise with some of the residents.  It was a pleasant experience.

Today the Christensen's came down from Cowra and spent some time with us.  He has such an interesting background and that really assists him in telling stories about the history of the church.  We've invited them to come, in a few weeks, and give a FHE to the YSA here in Canberra.  After a great visit we drove over to the Botanical gardens near Black mountain.  Unfortunately, because of the smoke in the air, most of the gardens are closed.  We walked through the lower portions that were open and really enjoyed the beauty.  We're anxious to return when they are fully available and spend some time there.  After the garden we came back to Belconnen for dinner.  The noodle restaurant that we had picked wasn't yet open so we determined to walk along Lake Ginninderra.  After a few minutes we came toward a young man that was sitting in a folding chair and fishing.  Evelyn walked over and started a conversation.  His name is Sam and he's here, from England, working in construction.  He said his background was psychology but electrical work paid more.  It was one of the best 15 minutes of conversation we've had in a long time.  He is a delightful fellow and he has such a positive demeanor.  He seemed to be truly interested in what we were doing and it didn't take any prodding to share our phone numbers and become Facebook friends.  We sent him a text inviting him to dinner so hopefully we can continue the conversation.  Sam also told us he has a friend who is also interested in learning new things.  It wasn't an accident that we met.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayers work!

We've arrived and our hearts are full

plans that don't materialize