First classroom in nearly 6 years

For 36 years I experienced the joy, fear, excitement and mental preparations before the start of a new academic year.  Last night, Wednesday, was the first class I've taught in nearly 6 years.  I'm not sure how the students enjoyed the evening but, for me, it was wonderful.  The educational arm of the church has an updated curriculum for the Book of Mormon and it was a sweet experience, especially in my personal preparation.  The quotes are all from recent conferences and various articles.  I really tried to keep my materials to be covered in a 90 minute period but I wasn't able to complete even 30 percent of what I brought.

There were about a dozen young people that came and we met in a room that was arranged so each student had desk space available.  The S & I (Seminaries & Institutes) had provided notebooks, pens and I brought a few teaching supplies of my own.  Sister Moir, who is the Stake Coordinator was there and she is great at taking care of any needs. She was the previous Institute teacher and I just can't say enough about her.  What a blessing!

I've been reading the Book of Mormon, from the beginning, in preparation for this assignment.  I always like to use a fresh copy of the text so that I can read it without previous notes, or markings to influence what the spirit would have me to teach right now.  It is the most dynamic and "living" book on the earth and I am so grateful that every time I read it I see something new.  Even though many of the verses are memorized I hear new things, especially when I am pondering on the young people that will be in the classroom. Because I haven't taught with the set of scriptures that were given to me by the students back at Yale, that is the set I'm using.  I want to record, here in this journal, a portion of what I wrote in the front of that book;

"May 18th, 2014.  These scriptures were presented to me, today, as a gift from the LDS students here at Yale University.  What an incredible gift, as they have marked their favorite scripture and written their names in the margins.  I will cherish this forever!  After four years of serving as the Institute Director and LDS Chaplain at Yale, and 36 years in Church Education, I am retiring next month.

I spent the day with Elder Holland and his family as they were here for the Providence Stake Conference.  Elder and Sister Holland spoke at a fireside here at the Institute on Trumbull Street.  Before the fireside I had Elder Holland spend an hour with the married students, on the fourth floor and it was a delightful time.  Before the students began to arrive we had nearly an hour to sit on the couch, just the two of us, and visit about things that matter most."

Elder Holland would send me a letter, dated May 27, and one of the things that he wrote was, "What a beautiful and treasured scriptural gift they gave you!"  I agree, and last night as I opened it to teach these wonderful Australian saints, I couldn't help but feel a gratitude for these sacred days in the classroom.

Over 50 years ago I received a blessing that contained the phrase, "you will be standing in Holy places".  I hadn't thought too much about it until a meeting in 1981 with Elder Neal A. Maxwell.  He shared a thought that really struck home.  He said, "when you are teaching and the spirit invites you into the hearts and minds of your students, you will be standing in Holy places."  Last night was a Holy place!

Elder Ulisses Soares wrote, "Having prophets is a sign of God's love for his children.  They make known the promises and true nature of God and Jesus Christ."  (Ensign, Sept. 2018)  President Nelson is truly a prophet of God and everything we hear from our leaders is such a clear message of love.  What a blessing to be able to work and testify of eternal truths in this mortal moment.

Today is Olivia Joanne's birthday.  Our oldest granddaughter is 18!  It really doesn't seem that long ago that I stood beside her dad as he gave her a father's blessing and secured her place in the records of the church.  Happy Birthday Livy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Prayers work!

We've arrived and our hearts are full

plans that don't materialize